Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Migration's coming...

It really feels like spring out there this morning, and with that comes the realization that one morning I'll wake up to No Juncos! Birder buddy Carol tells me some of them do in fact stay around, but not in my yard. Perhaps they go west, to higher ground.

This morning things were pretty bare out there, so I went out to throw some seed around. Most of it goes on the ground these days. The juncos seem to prefer it, and the others apparently don't mind a bit.

Dozens of birds scattered. As soon as I came inside, a scrub jay was back within THREE seconds, a sparrow within 10. First junco hit the ground a full minute later, and now the hordes have descended.

We'll miss the juncos, but look forward to welcoming back old friends: black-headed grosbeaks, hummingbirds, and many more happy returns to chronicle in the weeks ahead.

No comments: